Thursday, May 6, 2010

Time to Go!

Today was the big day in which we were able to head home with our new baby boy! The entire time we were there, the nurses told us that we would be discharged around 11:00, so that is what we had planned for the entire time. So, we were excited and ready to go!!

6:00 - Shane got up with Lucas's last feeding and we kept him in the room for the rest of the morning. We had started to get things packed up and he even took a trip to the car to drop off some things we wouldn't need. The morning was going great and we were looking forward to hearding home!

7:00 - The nurses were in and out all morning checking on me and making sure we were all set to go home, which if course, we were! We were just waiting for the green light from both my doctors and Lucas's doctors to say it was okay to go.

8:00 - We ate breakfast at 8:00 and wanted to feed Lucas one more time before we left. We thought it would be good timing cause then we would be home by the time he needed to eat again.

10:00 - The baby nurse came in around 10:00 to discharge Lucas and he was all set and they checked him out. He was good to go!

11:00 - As I was changing Lucas, I noticed he started changing a little in color, so I called his nurse back in just to make sure I wasn't seeing something else, and wanted them to check him too. They checked his bilirubin again at that time, and did indicate it was a little higher than it had been. So, they had me call and schedule a follow up appointment for the next day instead of waiting for two days. I felt better about that and was glad I followed my motherly instinct.

12:00 - Shane and I watchd TV for a little bit just to pass the time. You could tell Shane was starting to get a little more frustrated as the time was passing though, cause it was passed the time in which they had indicated we could leave. This was of course starting to drive me crazy cause there was absolutely nothing we could do about it. However, he kept peeking his head out the door trying to see if he could get them to come in more quickly, but was not successful.

12:45 - We were told lunch would be coming around 1:00, so we decided to go ahead and eat and feed Lucas one more time before we left. Shane was extremely frustrated at this point and managed to tell everyone he talked to how they had told him we would be out of there by 11:00.

1:30 - Dr. Teverbough finally came in to discharge me at 1:30, but then it took forever for the transport folks to come and get us. They brought a cart for all of our things, and needed to wheel me out in a wheelchair.

2:00 - We finally left the hospital, packed up the car and headed home. Of course, I was nervous the entire way home, because I sat in the front seat instead of riding in the back with Lucas and couldn't see him to ensure his head wasn't moving all over the place. I did finally convince Shane to pull over on the side of the road once we hit Morton just to make sure he was okay, and he was doing just fine. Once we got home, we tried to get things put away and just relaxed for a while before Olivia got home.

5:00 - Olivia was home!! We were so excited to see her since she had been staying with Aunt Shell and Uncle Tim all week while we were at the hospital. She was so excited about it too, cause she was with Kaleigh and Parker the entire time! Shell picked up the kids from school and brought her home.

We were going to leave it up to Olivia to decide if she wanted to stay home or spend one more night with Aunt Shell. The entire evening while they were still here, she pointed at me andsaid she wanted to stay with me. You could tell she was missing us very much, but at the same time, she was having fun with the kids. She said all night she wanted to stay with Mommy...until it was time for them to leave. Then, off she went. We packed up her things and she was out the door. Shell said she changed her mind on the way to their house and was crying for me. But, she talked her through it and she was fine the rest of the night, until it was time for bed. She cried for me a little bit, but then fell right asleep. Sweet Olivia!

After Shell and the kids left, Shane and I went right to bed as well, knowing it was probably going to be a long night. We did have several night feedings, and Shane managed to get up with me througout the night to help out by changing diapers before I fed him, which was extremely helpful and nice of him to do. All in all, it was a great first night home. We did get some sleep, but was up pretty frequently. However, it did feel great to be sleeping in our own bed.

The pictures of our last day in the hospital and first day at home are below.

No comments:

Post a Comment