Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It keeps getting better....

It's day two at the hospital, and we had such a great night last night. Lucas came in every three hours to eat, and I loved hearing his cart being wheeled down the hall. Yes I was exhausted each time he came, but it was so much fun at the same time. He was eating like a pro and did well every time. He started eating for about 10 - 15 minutes on each side and latched on from the very beginning. Just like his big sister, it seemed he was going to be laid back and handle things with ease. We were certainly off to a great start!

8:00 - Shannon stopped by before heading to work this morning, which was nice. She stopped by yesterday as well, but didn't get a chance to see us, so now she had Lucas all to herself...at least for a little while.

8:30 - They came back to get him right after he was done eating, in order to do his circumcision. We didn't expect them to do it so soon, but knew it had to be done. So, off he went. And, just about that time, Dina arrived to relieve Shane long enough to go home and take a shower. He was a trooper all night long, so deserved some time.

8:45 - Dr. Mueller stopped by to check on me this morning, which was great as well. I was able to thank him once again for getting me through the delivery. He is a wonderful doctor and I was luckly to have him deliver both kids. He checked me out and said everything looks good, and out the door he went. He was only there for a few minutes, but it was great for him to check in.

9:00 - The anesthesiologist stopped by this morning too, which was not expected, but a nice surprise. She wanted to ensure the medicine had worn off and that I was not getting any eadaches or feeling side effects. I was able to thank her as well for getting there so quickly yesterday, and although I'm sure she hears it all the time, I was glad I got the chance.

10:00 - Lucas came back to the room around 10:00 to eat, after I had been looking at the clock all morning thinking he would need to eat again soon. It took Dina and I close to an hour towake him up to eat, since he was still a little sleepy from the medicine needed for his circumcision. He was exhausted, so I imagine he had been crying for the past few hours. They had given him Tylenol, but he was finally able to eat and then slept pretty good afterwards.

11:00 - Annie and Allison came to visit and it was nice to see all the changes in Allison. We of course were already comparing stories and looking at the similarities and differences in the two babies. It will be fun to have them grow up together, and I am hoping they will be great friends, as well as cousins!

12:00 - Angie came by to visit and check on with us this afternoon, and of course it was fantastic to see her! Thank you cannot begin to say how we feel about her and how grateful we are to have had her with us during this wonderful and special time. It is such a wonderful moment for any family, but then to have one of your best friends there as well is truly amazing! We couldn't have done it without her! And, while she was there, she was able to help pick out an outfit for him to wear for his hospital pictures.

1:15 - We were finally able to eat lunch, and I was starting to wonder if I was ever going to be able to take a shower myself. We had so many people in and out all morning, that I was starting to wonder if I would have to wait until I got home. So, lunch was good, but then it was time to feed Lucas again.

2:30 - The photographer came by to take his pictures, and she did a great job! They turned out so good, that there was really no way I was going to be able to decide...as usual!

3:00 - I was finally able to take a shower and actually started to feel like a normal person again. Being in my own clothes and more comfortable was a wonderful feeling! I was actually getting better and quicker on my feet and was able to get out of bed and actually sit in a regular chair rather than my bed for the past two days!

3:30 - I showered just in time for more visitors. Mom and Marc came by after they got off work, and Cayce stopped by for a few minutes as well.

4:00 - For the next hour or so, we were just able to relax and spend some time with him alone. It was so nice to have visitors, but it was also nice to get him all to ourselves! We really had a nice relaxing evening and got a call from Craig's mom, Kathy who was able to add Shane to the food orders from now on, so we both got dinner delivered to the room and was able to enjoy together.

7:00 - Aunt Pam came by for a visit and stayed for about an hour, which was nice to just sit and chat. I do believe she held him for the entire time, and enjoyed having him all to herself!

The night feedings were a little more sporadic this evening, and started with them being two hours apart, and then he went three hours before coming back for the early morning feeding. So, I didn't get as much sleep this evening, but actually let Shane sleep the entire night and did not get him up one time to assist. Overall, we had a great night. The night nurse was amazing and she was the one that sat with me in the morning for the discharge educational conversation. I was able to ask a lot of questions and she was wonderful, we had a great conversation.

The pictures for our second day in the hospital are below.

No comments:

Post a Comment