Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Baby Lucas!

Ok, so for those that know me, you know that I needed to recap the entire hospital stay so that I could remember later down the road. So, bare with me as this is a play by play our the arrival of Lucas Allen Cline!

4:45 - Check in to the hospital. Had to come in to the admitting desk to get paperwork going. Not too many people were around considering it was so early, so we got a great parking spot and there was no wait.

5:00 - Made it to our room, which come to find out was the exact room we delivered Olivia in, so that was pretty special. We got settled in to our room, I got in my gown and the nurse got all the monitors on me in order to keep an eye on Lucas.

5:30 - Another nurse started my IV, and that was not the most pleasant experience. She definitely took her time, and numbed the area first (needle #1) before putting in the IV (needle #2). However, she missed the first time around and could not find a vein. So, on the second attempt, she had to numb again (needle #3) and then started the IV (needle #4). Finally, she was able to get it, but didn't have everything she needed in place, so blood started to spurt out all over the bed, blankets, floor, etc. So, that was nice and we were off to a great start. I was hoping this wasn't an indication of what's to come.

6:00 - The nurse started petocin on the lowest dose, just to see how it would do. She said she would wait and increase the dose every 45 minutes as long as everything was working properly. So, let the fun begin!

6:30 - The petocin was working and I was already dilated to a 2, so she decided not to increase the dosage just yet. She would see how things were progressing after another hour or so.

7:00 - The gangs all here! Mom, Marc and Shell arrived at the hospital, which was expected. Since I was being induced, they knew to take the day off to be here the whole time...they didn't want to miss a single moment! And, shortly thereafter, Angie arrived! It was great to see her too!! She wasn't technically on staff that day, and was supposed to be working her other job, but she switched and was able to be there to help out the entire time! I am so lucky to have such a great friend!

7:45 - Dr. Mueller came to the hospital to check on things before going to the office. Since things were progressing with the petocin, he decided to break my water. This was the most painful part of the entire day! He used his hands first to see if he could break it that way, and with no luck, he got out the needle/hook. This was the most intense pain I have ever felt, and I was sure glad when it was over. Thank goodness Angie was there to literally hold my hand...luckily I didn't break any fingers, but I definitely could have.

8:00 - Dina arrived around 8:00 this morning, as she had taken the day off to be with us too! What a great family..or should I say nosy family! :-) Regardless, the entire gang was there and ready for Lucas to arrive!

8:30 - By this time, I was progressing even more quickly and the contractions were already getting stronger. I was only dilated to a 3, but they were very strong and getting painful. I had to really breathe through them, and remembered that I was a 5 with Olivia before I needed the epidural. But by this time with Lucas, I was already asking for it.

8:45 - Angie, being the wonderful friend and nurse that she is, really had to push for the anesthesiologist again. There was only one on staff, and she had about 4 other nurses asking for her. So, I was feeling a little guilty that Angie was pushing so hard for me, but on the other hand, I was ready for it. I just hoped Angie didn't make any enemies that day!

9:00 - The anesthesologist came in to the room, and I was so thankful to see her, but then she got called right back out! I started to panic at this point because she got called back in to a surgery and I could see the look on Angie's face, which scared me a little too. I was hoping she would be able to get out quickly and come back to my rescue.

9:20 - The doctor came back in, which felt like another hour, but then she was able to give me the epidural. I wasn't scared of the pain, cause the contractions were getting stronger. She took her time as well, and it seemed like a long process, but when it was over, I felt much better! Everyone had to leave the room at this point, but could see how much more comfortable I was when they were able to come back in the room.

10:00 - I was still dilated to a 3 at this point, and thought we were in for another long day. We were all just hanging out and visiting, knowing it could be a while before anything happened. Grandma and Grandpa Davis had arrived by this time too, so we were all just waiting and keeping an eye on things.

11:00 - Everyone was starting to get hungry, so with the exception of Dina, they all went to the cafeteria to get some lunch. Dina stayed with me, and I was going to try to close my eyes and get some rest before the big delivery.

11:15 - One of the nurses came back in to check on my progress and much to hers and my surprise, I was fully dilated and his head was already coming down. She was so surprised that she had another nurse come in to check as well, and called Angie right away. They called Dr. Mueller immediately as well, as he was still at the Morton office and Dina texted Shane to get back to the room as quickly as possible!!

11:30 - Angie had me "practice" push three times just to see where he was, and how he would do. Immediately, he started moving down and was ready to go. She basically had to tell me to stop pushing in order for Dr. Mueller to arrive. Dr. Croland was on the floor and was ready to step in if Dr. Mueller couldn't get there in time, which was how fast things were moving.

11:35 - Dr. Mueller arrived just in time! He got in the door and asked me to start pushing again. I pushed about 4 more times and literally Baby Lucas was born at 11:37! We were all shocked that he came so fast! It was amazing and I just kept looking at Angie saying, oh my gosh!! He's here! They layed him on my chest, which is the best feeling in the world. They kept him there for a quite a while actually, so much that I started wondering if they needed to take him away to get him cleaned up and work their magic. He started crying right away, so was doing great! He was 7 pounds, 8 ounces and 20 inches long with quite a bit of dark hair. He was beautiful and we were amazed he had finally arrived!

We took some time to enjoy him by ourselves before allowing the family to come back in, which I know was torture for them, but we were loving every second. Also, they still had to get me cleaned up, and take out my epidural. And, I actually tried to feed him right away too, which he latched on like a champ. So, it was quite some time that we were able to enjoy him during this time!

12:30 - Everyone else was finally able to come meet Lucas Allen, and no one could believe how fast he arrived! They were eating lunch and all of a sudden received the text to get back up there, so we relived that story over and over with amazement!

1:00 - We were able to move to our private room at this time, which was really nice. I was a little nervous with how many patients they had, that I wasn't going to be able to get my own room. But, we did and were able to move in to it right away. During this time, Lucas was taken to the nursery for his bath, to get his weight measured again, his footprints taken, etc. So, they were getting him all ready to go!

2:00 - Aunt Jenny came back to the hospital to meet Baby Lucas and I was finally able to eat lunch! I was exhausted, but definitely hungry too! We all visited for a while and was awaiting the arrival of Big Sister, Olivia! She had spent the night with Aunt Shell so that we could get to the hospital early and she took her to preschool for us. Uncle Tim was picking all the kids up and bringing them to meet Lucas that later afternoon.

4:30 - Steve, Mel, Tim and all the kids made it to the hospital to meet him. Olivia was so sweet with her Big Sister shirt on! Uncle Tim had stopped at the store for Olivia to pick out some flowers for me, which was so sweet and of course, she picked the most expensive, roses! Thanks Uncle Tim! Olivia was so proud walking around the corner with a dozen roses in her hand, and she had the biggest grin on her face. I was so excited to see her, and how she would react to Lucas. Of course, she was so excited too and couldn't wait to give him hugs and kisses. All three kids were right up in the bed with me and Lucas and all she kept saying was he was so cute. All three of them wanted to love on him and took turns sitting in the rocking chair holding him. Of course, the cameras were flying and we got a lot of the first visit with him. It was everything I expected and much more! The sweetest thing was when all three kids were in my bed with me and Lucas and wanted to sing Happy Birthday to him. It was one of the best moments!

They didn't stay too long, cause they were getting hungry and a little restless. But, I was able to give Olivia the gift I bought her, which was a new baby boy of her own. It was so sweet and she absolutely loved him. So, now she could take care of her baby boy when Mommy is taking care of Lucas. She loved on him just as much and off they went.

5:00 - After everyone left, we didn't have any other visitors that night, so it was time to relax and enjoy our alone time with Lucas. It was such an amazing day and again we could not believe how wonderful the experience was. I was feeling great and couldn't stop smiling!

6:00 - We finally ate some dinner and just wanted to rest a little bit, knowing we would be up most of the night to feed Lucas. I actually planned to send him back to the nursery after he ate throughout the night in order to get some rest ourselves. I felt guilty every time I sent him back, and was so excited when I heard his cart being wheeled down the hall. But, it was nice to get some rest throughout the night.

His evening feeding times were 8:00, 11:00, 2:00 and 5:00, so every three hours. He was already starting to get on a great schedule, so I was hoping he would keep it up. Shane did great throughout the night and helped as much as he could. He helped to change him, while I went to the bathroom and got ready to feed him. The chair he was sleeping on wasn't too comfortable, but he was so tired, it didn't stop him from snoring most of the night. The nurse had to help me in the restroom the first few times I went, but I was already starting to feel good on my feet.

8:00 - We kept him in the room after his 8:00 feeding the next morning, knowing we would have visitors again and we couldn't stop loving on him! We were so glad he was here!!

The pictures from the first day are listed below.

No comments:

Post a Comment